I don’t even want to post how many words I have written for NaNoWriMo because I’m so embarrassed.
My life got in the way. And not even for important, life threatening reasons. I had errands to run this day, my friend’s birthday was that day, my mom wanted me to do x, y, and z for her, my dog that can’t walk wouldn’t stop barking for three solid hours and gave me a concussion (not an exaggeration); I could continue with my lame excuses but I won’t waste your time.
It’s about halfway through the month and I am definitely not halfway through my novel. This morning I saw a lot of blog posts about people hitting the 50k mark and at first I was like “yay! Oh my gosh that is so awesome and so quick!” and then I was like “what the heck have I been doing.”
Part of the reason I wanted to do NaNoWriMo this year was to develop a daily writing habit and I am totally failing. On the plus side, seeing how far behind I am motivated me to knock out about 1,000 words this morning; more than I’ve written in a single day for about a week.
I’ve curated some sprints and word crawls posted on the NaNoWriMo forums to help me get through the next couple of days until I feel like I’ve reached a point where I can feasibly win without drowning. Some of my favorites are:
- Labyrinth Crawl (7 hours long, I’m saving this one for Friday when I can devote an entire day)
- Your Way to a Clean House Crawl (I did this one last Thursday for when I needed to clean and write at the same time)
- Double Up Day Doubling Challenge (No longer Double Up Day, but still a good sprint)
- Gilmore Girls Word Crawl (Because like, I couldn’t resist)
- The High School Crawl (The warning says “Evil” if that gives you any clues)
I’ve also spent some time re-familiarizing myself with my inspiration board on Pinterest, and adding some more songs to my NaNoWriMo playlist. I’ve showered, made my bed, and brewed some tea and have a fridge full of leftovers, so hopefully I’m ready to commit to a few days of catch-up writing.
How are your novels going? Do you have any advice for a straggler?