You know me, always late to every party 💁
I’ve entered the Year of the Asian Reading Challenge! For some reason it’s just taken me ages to write this post (just kidding, the reason is I started a new job and I’m still trying to adjust to a new schedule), but I’ve been meaning to sign up for the challenge since it was announced!
I’m sure everyone has already heard about it, but the Year of the Asian Reading Challenge (#YARC) is a yearly challenge encouraging you to read more books by Asian authors. There are four co-hosts, Shealea @ Shut Up, Shealea, CW @ The Quiet Pond, Lily @ Sprinkles of Dreams, and Vicky @ Vicky Who Reads.
I’m committing to reading 21 to 30 books by Asian authors this year, meaning I’m at the Malayan tapir level. Ideally, I’d like to try to read at least two books a month, putting me at 24 books for the year. If I end up hitting 30 books before the year is over I’ll keep increasing my goal into the next increments until the year is over.
I’ve decided that I’m not going to count any manga I read this year because I already read a ton of manga and I’d like to try to use this as a challenge. I also already own a ton of unread books by Asian authors so I’m going to take this opportunity to read some of the backlist books that have been on my TBR for a while!
I’ve already read 6 books so far (from January through mid-February) so I’ve been doing pretty well so far! I’ve made a list of 21 books by Asian authors that I own that is going to act as a tentative TBR for the rest of the year. This list is ordered from oldest books on my TBR to the most recent additions.
- 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
- Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
- Light on Yoga by B. K. S. Iyengar
- Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- This One Summer by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki
- Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
- A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
- The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
- The Courage to be Disliked by Ichiro Kishimi and Fumitake Koga
- When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
- Flame in the Mist be Renée Ahdieh
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
- Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong
- The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan
- The Last Illusion by Porochista Khakpour
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
- The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore by Kim Fu
- Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Land of Sand by Makoto Inoue
- Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi
Have you joined the challenge? What books on your TBR are you most looking forward to reading?